Saturday, October 14, 2006

Co-rea

I'm here in Busan (or Pusan, depend on which signboard you are reading) and so far it's been unreal. I'm being treated so nicely - pick ups at every airport and a chauffeur to the hotel! What did I do to deserve this?

It looks like I'm staying at the hotel where the stars are because when I arrived, there was a crowd of young women and obasan-types (what is the Korean word equivalent?) toting cameras, being held back by security and eagerly awaiting some Korean stars I am sure I would not recognize. Though, apparently, Andy Lau is also here at my hotel. This information was printed in one of the Asian Film Market guides - which hotel everyone is staying in - in what my friend Joan and I immediately dubbed "the stalker's guide". They even told you which dates everyone was checking in and out! No room numbers, though...

Here is a picture of my first meal in Korea (excluding the airplane bibimbap) - a bowl of udon noodles from a small mom-and-pop place in Busan.
Sadly, the influences of tourism and the PIFF have resulted in an Outback Steakhouse and TGI Fridays near the beachfront. Having said that, tomorrow I am heading to Starbucks...

The other photo is of some korean star I don't recognize (he's the guy in the black shirt and khaki jacket). I keep stumbling onto crowds of fans/stars. The PIFF is in full swing by the beach. The AFM (film market) starts tomorrow, as do my meetings. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

FoodSnob said...

First! Ted told me how cool I'd look by saying that. Glad you're having fun in Co-Rea. Starbucks? Shame. Take lots of pics with your new cam!

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I don't recognize the dude, though I've seen my fair share of Korean drama serials (actually, only one...) and movies (quite a few). Just yell in Mandarin to them randomly - I hear Korean stars are huge in mainland China now....

opus2 said...

Oh, i found out who it is. It's actually a Korean-American, Will Yun Lee. Apparently he was in Elektra. Too bad I have not seen either Korean dramas nor Elektra.

Anonymous said...

Alas, I was unfortunate to have seen Elektra. Meh. I guess you didn't miss much.... E